Thursday, December 10, 2009

Can anyone give me a ballad from a broadway musical?

I am auditioning for a high school of the performing arts. If I get in, I will be transfering my sophmore year. The audition requires that I have one broadway song, which I already have prepared, and a ballad from a broadway play. I am having difficulty finding a ballad. My range is from alto to 2nd soprano. I also must have a monologue from a play. I am aware of many monologues from movies, television shows, and books, but am also have a bit of trouble with this. Please help, if you can. I am a female and a freshman in highschool.



Can anyone give me a ballad from a broadway musical?playhouse



I'm an alto (ish) also! ^.^ Here are a few of my favorites to sing... Some these aren't ballads but I've sung all these songs with much success, so this can give you an idea of my range so you can compare it to yours. I'll put stars (***) next to the ones I consider ballads.



1) ***"Your Daddy's Son"- Ragtime (This is God's gift to altos, if you can nail it and are a good belter, this would be amazing!)



2)(*** "Hold On") or "A Fine White Horse"- Secret Garden (Hold On, could be a bit of a challenge to add acting things to, but it's still pretty, and Fine White Horse, is just a fun jolly song)



3) "Roxy"- Chicago (this song isn't too difficult to sing range-wise and you could add some playful things to enhance it)



4) "Crime of the Century"- Ragtime (I ADORE this song, it's so cute and there is alot to work with)



5) ***"Every Tear a Mother Cries" - Honk (This song is very passionate and is sung by a soprano in the play but is written in an alto range, beware though some of the notes go pretty low)



6) "All the Jazz" - Chicago (need I say more?)



7) "Macavity: The Mystery Cat" - Cats (I'm auditioning for our school's production with this song next month, there is a lot to work with, it's very dynamic)



8) "Heavy" - Dream Girls (If you can sing with enough soul this song has the potential to be very impressive)



9) ***(this song is sort of a ballad, you can listen to it online)"He Wanted to Say" - Ragtime (I'm currently playing this role at my school and the character that sings this is a very powerful and influencial character, the song has so much meaning to it, this song go kind of low as well)



Can anyone give me a ballad from a broadway musical?plays opera theater



I would try On my Own, from Les Miserables. It's a commonly known song, but I've never heard anyone sing it at an audition. If sung correctly, it's beautiful.
For a Ballard from a Broadway show, try "Light My Candle" from Rent.



Here are some links for monologues:



http://www.stagepage.info/monologs/_mono...



http://www.playingafterdark.com/monologu...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp