Saturday, December 5, 2009

What is a good way to impress a high school director, for the play Annie, or any play really.?

it is my first year at this school, and i was really looking forward to the art department it offers. They said i shoudn't be discouraged, if i don't get into the play, and that it is only my first year there. However, i have been performing for a while now, and it seems the director keeps pushing me off. I dont want to say it is partly because my race, but it's hard to cast someone who doesn't fit the profile of a white person, when most of the castings are directed towards them( and that is understandable). I know its my first year, yeah yeah yeah, but seriously, if there is anything i can do besides my commitment i am trying to show him, what else?



What is a good way to impress a high school director, for the play Annie, or any play really.?movie theater



With no offense I have some suggestions.



First of all you might temper your expectations a bit, and reach for smaller more easy to manage Goals.



Second, and hopefully you've mastered these: Acceptance, Tolerance, Compromise, and the ability to take rejections not as personal attacks, but as trophies.



Please, no matter your feelings, Don't play any Race card. Number one: it belittles you. Number two: it won't win a part, unless very specific to your race, and even then there may be competition. Number three: It certainly might impress a director, but negatively so.



Finally, "patience"



I suspect if this is truly a passion for you, whining and/or anger about being passed over will be less effective than continued effort to gain a part.



Best other advice,,, don't try to impress, just do what you do,,, although if anyone of any station does happen to give you feedback with regard to style, stage presence, etc. take that as a lesson, and refine yourself.



The commitment aside, and certainly one of color may not be cast as "Ms. Lily White" You will have to expand your "search" at some point, or research the upcoming pieces that might be best suited to include you. Another thought however is,,, Did you research the school and it's theater program before enrolling and beginning classes?



Steven Wolf



"Sometimes the most damaging sabotage, begins from within."



What is a good way to impress a high school director, for the play Annie, or any play really.?tickets opera theater



i saw that coming above.



wear some glow in the dark clothing i guess :)
Since this is your first year, I wouldn't be discouraged yet. You didn't mention how many shows the school has done this year, but I'll bet that "Annie" is most likely your spring musical, after having done just one fall production. While nobody will admit to it, on a High School or community theatre level there's a lot of pre-casting done. In fact, who you have to work with usually factors in to the shows that are chosen. Why you weren't chosen even for a chorus role in Annie is the question I'd have...



But, if you want to impress the director with your commitment to the theatre program, volunteer for the crew or some other aspect of the production. Prove yourself to be an asset, it'll go a long way.
act very polite twords him...



if there are any other shows going on try and get on a crew for it to show him how hard you work



when you go to audition wear nice looking clothes and be polite...introduce yourself and say what song you will be singing...when your done say thank you ect..



GOOD LUCK!
Really, commitment is the biggest thing I can think of. In my middle school, I had nearly always gotten big parts, so when I tried out for my first play in my new high school, I was expecting the same. Instead, I got in the ensemble. So I asked the director what I could do better/work on for next time,(even though I was kinda crushed). And that really impressed her. Also, I showed up to every practice I had to, and some I didn't have to.



So, besides commitment (which you should keep trying to show him, as much as you can), try asking what you can do better/ work on for next time, if you don't get it.
Go up to him and give him a really great *******
just work your way up... I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with race. It could be an experience problem or talent... maybe the director is just waiting until you develop your talent more.



I just recently finished my 1st musical. My acting school is a very good one. In their summer camps I always got a speaking role and a singing solo... but once I auditioned for their Big musical I was only cast as the ensemble... I understood that I was probably going to be there anyway but I had my hopes up because I got called back for a good role. I understand once I develop my talent more and gain more experience more doors will open to me. Maybe a lead in a future musical or something... I'm sure it will be the same with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp